Re: Modefg considered harmful

At 7:54 PM -0800 2/1/03, Bernard Aboba wrote:
>  > But there is a second function of the gateway that is
>>  intimately bound to address allocation. The IPsec gateway has to respond to
>>  ARPs to the assigned IP address and forward packets addressed to that IP
>>  address to the endnode.
>
>So you're saying that the IPsec gateway *must* implement proxy ARP? Why
>wouldn't participation in the routing mesh be enough? For example, if the
>IPsec gateway is injecting routes for the addresses of the nodes it is
>handling (either an aggregated prefix or the host routes) wouldn't that
>work? The result will be that packets destined for those addresses will be
>forwarded to the IPsec gateway.

Bernard,

When one starts moving into this realm of routing functionality,
there are serious security concerns that IPsec has not yet fully
addressed.

In 2401bis, we plan on de-coupling route selection from SA selection,
by having an explicit lookup for routing performed prior to SA
selection, and then passing along a virtual interface ID as part of
the SA selection process.  This is something that was discussed among
a set of folks interested in PPVPN and overlay nets over the last
several months. If adopted, this would make it easier to accommodate
the sort of full-fledged routing participation that you allude to.

However, another problem arises here, i.e., how do we know what
portions of address space a given IPsec gateway is authorized to
advertise. If the gateway represents a leaf for routing purposes,
then this may be successfully managed manually, and with the current
binding of SA selection and routing, I assume this is what has been
done. But there are folks who have a good reason to want to separate
these two functions, and if we start having IPsec gateways executing
BGP, I worry that we do not have adequate means to verify the
authorization aspect of routes.  The infrastructure developed for
S-BGP (a pet project of mine) would supply the necessary info, but it
has not been deployed so far. At a minimum we should address the
question in our documents, even if we don't have an agreed-upon
solution.

Steve