Re: Modefg considered harmful

At 5:41 PM -0800 2/3/03, Bora Akyol wrote:
>At 04:55 PM 2/3/2003 -0500, Stephen Kent wrote:
>>In 2401bis, we plan on de-coupling route selection from SA
>>selection, by having an explicit lookup for routing performed prior
>>to SA selection, and then passing along a virtual interface ID as
>>part of the SA selection process.  This is something that was
>>discussed among a set of folks interested in PPVPN and overlay nets
>>over the last several months. If adopted, this would make it easier
>>to accommodate the sort of full-fledged routing participation that
>>you allude to.
>

>I fear that this is straying from the scope of the ipsec working
>group to something much larger. As you point out there is no
>infra-structure in the Internet to verify that either a route or its
>advertiser are authentic. Specification of a virtual interface ID is
>implementation specific.
>
>I want to understand more of the concern here. Is the concern that
>ipsec SAs are being used to route traffic or due to the uncontrolled
>routing, some packets that should be secured are going in the clear
>due to the wrong interface selection?
>
>Can you please elaborate the reasoning behind this concern and verbiage?
>
>Thanks
>
>Bora

Bora,

IPsec provides access controls based on packet headers, primarily S/D
IP addresses. If an IPsec implementation serves a single host, we can
manage this well, i.e., we can appropriately configure the SPD to
reflect the address of the host. If an IPsec gateway serves a subnet
we can probably do an acceptable job as well. But, if people start
thinking in terms of routing through a subnet protected with an IPsec
security gateway, en route to some other subnet, this sort of transit
traffic protection creates new requirements for secure management of
the binding between an IPsec device and the addresses that it is
authorized to represent. I agree that this is a bigger issue than
IPsec, but we need to be cognizant of vulnerabilities that will
result if we say that IPsec gateways can be used for this sort of
transit traffic protection.  We need to advise potential users of the
technology of these vulnerabilities, and suggest means by which the
vulnerabilities can  be mitigated.

Steve