RE: dhcp/modecfg summary

<snip>

> (1) we want to do only the things that absolutely have to be
> accomplished in
> IKE for basic client config in IKE. This means IP and DNS server, and
> *MAYBE* DNS, WINS. All else that DHCP might do can happen through a native
> DHCP request, protected by a CHILD_SA.
>
> (2) So we need a way for the client to communicate something of a
> DHCP-Acceptable identity (like MAC) to the responder.

No hitting here, but if DHCPINFORM only is used by the client the chaddr and
client identifier is supposed to be ignored by the DHCP server, so they're
not needed.  If you want more than DHCPINFORM from the client then I think
you will need "DHCP-Acceptable identity" on the client (i.e., chaddr and the
client identifier used by the SGW for the initial lease).

> (3) then the responder can send a DHCP relay to the actual DHCP
> server, and
> provide back, through modecfg2 the appropriate IP and DHCP server
> (and maybe
> DNS, WINS). This gives us the scalability of having the IP
> assigned from the
> off-responder DHCP server form the start, and gets us away from only the
> responder having the pool of addresses.
>
> (4) the remainder of the DHCP attributes can be assigned directly between
> the client and DHCP server once the CHILD_SA gets established.
>
> We cannot make the above work (Modecfg2 being the conduit for
> initial DHCP)
> with the attributes currently listed in ikev2-04. We need two more things:
> the client needs to send identity for the DHCP server, and we need to
> explicitly define the DHCP relay from the responder to DHCP
> server. Then we
> can use existing modecfg2 responses to communicate the IP, DNS, WINS.

You suggest the SGW needs to be a DHCP relay, if the client has an IP
address and knows the address of the DHCP server then I don't think a relay
is needed.  Correct?