Re: Modefg considered harmful

Derek Atkins wrote:

> Similarly, I see nothing wrong with ModeCfg just configuring the IP
> Address, and then using DHCP to obtain all the other configuration
> once the network is up.  Indeed, modecfg could even provide the dhcp
> address ;)

I have come to think that this probably represents the best solution. If
the Cfg payload provides the same parameters as IPCP does, then
configuration can proceed similarly to other remote access mechanisms.
And as Darren pointed out, the remote client can talk directly to the
DHCP server. This obviates the need for dhcp relay on the sgw, though if
Derek isn't alone in desiring the same IP address inside and outside,
then there must be some coordination between IKE and the DHCP server
(e.g. dhcp proxy), or else there will be ease of use and scalability
issues.

I think there is something to be said for approximating the
functionality of existing remote access configuration models (e.g.
ppp/l2tp).

Scott