Re: IKEV2: Issue #4 Revised Identity

: > opportunisticly) to get the remote's cert so that you can make the
: > decision whether you trust it or not (say, ask it from user), would not
: > work since the IKEv2 (and pki-profile) says it's MUST NOT to send empty
: > CR.
:
: Could you provide a use case where this is a problem?  Let's say that I
: know I trust CAs A and B, and I tell you that I trust them by sending
: you CERTREQ payloads containing the DNs of these two CAs.  If you don't
: have a certificate backed by A or B, we have no common ground and I
: cannot hope to authenticate you, so IKE fails.  Are you thinking
: opportunistic IPSec?
:
One case is opportunistic IPSec, second is use of self-signed certs.
Assuming your friend has only a self-signed cert it would be nice to get
that cert in IKE so that you could cache it (and verify it, sign it, etc).

	Pekka
 Pekka Riikonen                    | Email: priikone@iki.fi
 SILC - http://silcnet.org/        | http://iki.fi/priikone/
 Tel. +358 (0)40 580 6673          | Snellmanninkatu 34 A 15, 70100 Kuopio
 PGP KeyID A924ED4F: http://iki.fi/~priikone/pubkey.asc