RE: Configuration portion of OPEN ISSUES...

> One of the frustrating things about trying to determine consensus in
> the IPSEC wg is that the consensus seems to change from week to week,
> perhaps (in part) because some wg contributors are not reading this
> mailing list regularly.

Sometimes, the same question gets asked over and over and over.... and it
gets tiring of restating your opinions over and over and over...  Not a
personal dig here Ted, just a fact of life in the IETF.

Some of us had agreed that a good path forward would be to keep the
configuration payload for initial very basic configuration (IP, WINS, DNS,
DHCP-SERVER-IP).  This would satisfy a VERY LARGE number of existing
deployments (100% that I've seen so far, though I'm not naive enough to
think that it won't change ;).  It would also allow you to use a RADIUS or
LDAP server in the back-end (rather than DHCP). *IF* other DHCP specific
information is required, a remote Client MAY send a DHCP packet (via a valid
IPsec SA) directly to the DHCP server to get the rest of the configuration.

I *thought* this was the agreement, but somewhere along the way, this
changed to

> > 	* Keep configuration payload and allow optional
> > 		RFC 3456-style configuration

Nobody wants to do this because this basically says you need to support both
CP and RFC3456.

Where it should have said

*Keep configuration payload and allow optional unicast DHCP configuration
after phase 1 is complete.

I *think* everyone can live with this.  Some have expressed a desire for
other solutions (DHCP in IKE for example), but I have not heard anyone say
that the above solution is not acceptable.