Re: Now a question on legacy authentication

- Section 2.16 text:

     "The Initiator of an IKE-SA using EAP SHOULD be capable of extending
      the initial protocol exchange to at least ten IKE_AUTH exchanges in
      the event the Responder sends notification messages and/or retries
      the authentication prompt."

  Why ten? Actually, this sounds a bit small to cover all possible
  methods. Is there a reason why we could not just
  wait until a timeout occurs or something like that?

=> Some implementations are likely to rely on hard timeouts for session
establishment. E.g. If an exchange is not complete within 1 minute then
consider it failed. Timing conditions are one of the most difficult things
to get right. Constraining the number of messages is one way to achieve
predictability.

As for the responder retrying the authentication, clean handling of that
case was one of the advantages of a phase 1.5. (I guess the phase 1.5 didn't
add significant complexity after all.)

Andrew
The odd thing about fairness is when
we strive so hard to be equitable