RE: suites vs. a la carte and IPcomp in IKEv2-05

 >> Cipher suites are important if you want security according to your
 >> needs/requirements and a la carte proposals are important for
 >> interop.

 Andrew> Well actually I waws thinking pretty much the
 Andrew> opposite. Cipher suites are important for interop and a la
 Andrew> carte proposals are important if you want security according
 Andrew> to your needs/requirements

Maybe, maybe not.  I once implemented IPsec for a router; it offered
suites at the UI level.  It came standard with 3 suites
(authentication only; auth + encrypt DES, auth + encrypt 3DES).  The
only reason it was 3 and not 2 is because of the mistaken insistence
in the existing specs that DES is required.  There was also an ability
to add suites; I don't think this was ever used by customers.  We told
them "use the auth + 3DES suite" and that was the end of the
discussion.

So I think a small number of suites, perhaps more than the number of
thumbs on your hand but fewer than your fingers, is ample for
"security according to your needs/requirements".  The standards have
WAY too much flexibility to no practical benefit.

	paul