Re: SPI in Delete Payload of IKE / IKEv2

Dear, Mr. Kaufman,

Thank you for your pointing it out and giving comments.

Actually, I sent another mail and asked the difference between v1 and v2.

    Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 10:23:25 +0900
    From: "Atsuhiro Tsuji" <tsuji.atsuhiro@jp.panasonic.com>
    To: "Yoav Nir" <ynir@CheckPoint.com>, ipsec@lists.tislabs.com
    Cc: "'Atsuhiro Tsuji'" <tsuji.atsuhiro@jp.panasonic.com>
    Subject: Re: SPI in Delete Payload of IKE / IKEv2

And the points to be discussed are:

  1. If we don't change the payload format, which direction's IPsec SA
      should we sent for Delete Payload?
  2. Shouldn't we add the field which indicates the direction?

I understand the INFORMATIONAL Exchange of IKEv2 : Closing SA.
So the 2nd point may not be needed, but I dared to list it up.

About the 1st point, let me summery the cases.

  Case (a) :  Outbound IPsec SA for Delete Payload

       That will mean:
            "I don't send anymore with this IPsec SA, so you don't have to
             maintain the corresponding Inbound IPsec SA."
       And all packets before the deletion of the peer Inbound IPsec SA
       can be received.

  Case (b) :  Inbound IPsec SA for Delete Payload

      That will mean:
           "I deleted this IPsec SA, so please don't send anymore with
            the corresponding Outbound IPsec SA."
      And some packets may drop since my deletion of Inbound SA
      to his deletion of Outbound SA.

Which is the specification, and which is better?
And how is everyone implementing for IKEv1?

By the way,
I found a IPsec BOX which sends Delete Payload for both Inbound
and Outbound IPsec SAs.
One of the persons who are selling it said,
 "Our BOX manages SPI so that they are unique for both direction.
   So we can know which direction they are."
But if the opposite IKE isn't theirs, .....oops.

Sincerely yours,
Atsuhiro Tsuji