Re: Another field for traffic selector?

Hi Radia,

I'm a little confused about this (sorry, not a ppvpn person). I have
some questions interspersed below.

Radia Perlman - Boston Center for Networking wrote:

> Sorry Charlie... (for what I'm about to bring up)
>
> I was just talking to someone about some routing thing,
> and realized that IPsec might need another traffic selector
> field, for "virtual network number".
>
> Suppose you have several customer intranets, C1, C2, C3, C4,
> all using local IP addresses, so there's no way to distinguish
> traffic based on IP addresses, ports, or protocol types.

I don't have a clear picture of this in mind. Are you saying that the
customers are using overlapping private address spaces, e.g.

C1: 10.1.1.0-10.1.2.255

C2: 10.1.1.0-10.1.1.255

C3: 10.1.2.0-10.1.2.255

C4: 10.1.1.0-10.2.1.255

or do you mean something else?

> And you have two firewalls F1 and F2 that are providing VPN
> service to different offices of customers C1, C2, C3, C4.

This leads me to think of implementations which sit just inside the
cloud between the customer networks - is this what you mean?

Thanks for your indulgence,

Scott

----end of questions---------