RE: Another field for traffic selector?

Hi Radia and others,

I too would love to see a "VPN-ID" conveyable by IKEv2.

RFC 2685 style VPN-ID (7 bytes) would seem a fine format.

RFC 2547 Route Targets (8 bytes) are another possibility but given that RFC
2547 allows them to be  a) different in one direction than in the other,
and  b) not have a 1:1 correspondence to what Radia has dubbed "customer
intranets, C1, C2, C3, C4", I suspect it would be difficult to use them.

Both types are (or can be) structured to be globally unique.
An encoding that could transparently carry either would probably be wise at
this point.

On the question of verifying received packets to see that they match the
VPN ID of the negotiated traffic selectors, this doesn't seem necessary to
me, based on my motivations anyway :-).  Especially given that there is
currently no VPN ID field in the AH/ESP packet to be verified.  The SPI can
be used to deliver the received packets to the correct context, so this is
an access control issue only.

Perhaps then VPN-ID shouldn't be a Traffic Selector at all but rather some
other attribute that can be bound to an SA.  Sorry but I don't know enough
about IKEv2 to know whether such a concept fits or not.  In my mind this
would be analogous to the "Remote End ID" AVP in l2tpv3, which can be used
to bind a VPN ID to an l2tp session at the time the session is
created.  Just substitute "IPsec SA" for "l2tp session" to get the same
ability with IPsec.

--Mark