Re: Another field for traffic selector?

Hi Shane,

I think your point here raises an interesting question.

When one uses a unique public IP address per customer/context (as you
describe below) one ends up with separate IKE SAs, and probably separate
identities, used for each customer/context.

OTOH, putting the VPN ID in the Traffic Selector Payload as proposed in
this thread binds each child SA to a VPN; the IKE SA is shared across
multiple VPNs.

Another possibility that presents itself is putting the VPN ID attribute in
some payload that binds it to the IKE SA.  (HDR payload?  An optional
VPN-ID payload?)  This would make it more similar to the way you describe
below, only not require all the separate IP addresses.

Which is better?  Sharing an IKE SA across VPN contexts probably scales
better and is probably sufficient when say a service provider is operating
the SGs at both ends.  However, for the case of multi-user/customer IPSec
GW's, especially where the remote peer might be a single-user GW or a
multi-user one operated by a different service provider, it might be the
case that each user/customer would want to use their own identity.

--Mark

[snip]