Re: Another field for traffic selector?

Mark Duffy wrote:

<snip>

(The part about the usage scenario probably belongs to ppvpn
  mailing list.)

>> A different aspect of this discussion is about the scope of IPsec or
>> IKE. The trend of "adding more fields for traffic selector" is like
>> chasing a moving target. We now have TCP/UDP port numbers. Why not
>> SCTP? Why not some other fields from some other transport protocols?
>> Why not IP src-dest for IP-IP packets? How about GRE? RDP? Pick your
>> favorite ones, they are all transport, aren't they?
>

> As far as your question here about IPsec supporting selectors for TCP,
> UDP and not for other protocols, I'll leave that to others.  The current
> issue about VPN ID is about something else entirely.  It is a about when
> there are multiple independent contexts of (TCP, UDP, whatever over) IP
> and we want to bind an SA to one of those contexts.

That may be true, but if the proposed solution is to "ADD" another
field to the IPsec traffic selector (can we call it IPsec-firewall?),
the my question stands: are we opening the door to let other
IP options and/or transport protocol fields to be considered
for IPsec traffic selectors? IMHO, this not only affects IKE, the
implication affects IPsec (2401bis?) as a whole.

yushun.