RE: "Me Tarzan, You Jane" in IKEv2-05

I agree with Dan Harkins' previous comment that the responder can pick
how to authenticate itself based on the initiator's identity.  Since
both the IDi and the optional IDr come at the same time, I don't see how
including the optional payload buys you anything.

The difference between IKE and SSL is that SSL doesn't use the identity
of the "initiator" to demux its own possible identities.

A related question I have is what happens if the responder sends an
identity that's different from the IDr requested by the initiator?

-g