Re: Another field for traffic selector?

Mark Duffy <mduffy@quarrytech.com> writes:

> Ah. I was ready to say I didn't think this solved the problem, because
> there was no way for Bob to know which context Alice wanted to have an
> SA with.  And AFAIK that was true for IKEv1.  For IKEv2, I think this
> would be done by Alice sending the optional [IDr,] payload to Bob.  Is
> that what you have in mind?

It really doesn't matter.  You could know that F1-C1 is supposed to
talk to F2-C1, F1-C2 talks to F2-C2, etc.)  But yea, theoretically you
could also sent the IDr payload.

> I think that would do pretty well.  A minor deficiency from the PPVPN
> POV would be that VPN membership discovery schemes may be passing
> around VPN-IDs and so VPN-IDs would be what the device has available
> to send to the IKE peer.  I suppose this could be addressed by having
> the membership discovery scheme pass some recognized IKE identity type
> instead, or by stuffing VPN-ID into ID_KEY_ID, or by defining a new
> IKE ID type that has type VPN-ID.

Are VPN-IDs dynamic or quazi-static?  If quazi-static then you can
just print a certificate for each firewall involved in a particular
VPN-ID.  If they are absolutely dynamic (e.g. VPN #17 today is not the
same as VPN #17 tomorrow) then we probably need to come up with
another solution.

> --Mark

-derek

--