Re: Do ipsec vendors care about privacy?

Yoav Nir wrote:
> That's way too many RTTs.  I think an extra RTT is a greater problem when
> interacting with a human, because humans are more impatient than machines.
I disagree with you.

However if we can do it with less RTT, let's do with less RTT! :-)

If I've not misunderstood, Hugo's proposal should work like this (right?):

Initiator                          Responder
-----------                        -----------
HDR, SAi1, KEi, Ni         -->
                            <--    HDR, SAr1, KEr, Nr, [CERTREQ]
HDR, SK {[CERTREQ,] [IDr,]
          SAi2, TSi, TSr}   -->
                            <--    HDR, SK {IDr, [CERT,] AUTH,
                                            EAP }
HDR, SK {IDi, EAP, [AUTH]} -->
                            <--    HDR, SK {EAP, [AUTH],
                                            SAr2, TSi, TSr }

This sounds fine for me. In such a scenario (legacy authentication) we
open IDr to passive attack, however I think that here we have to protect
Initiator Identity rather than IDr...

In the previous message I wrote something incorrect.
When we are using EAP we open IKEv2 to passive attack on IDr, but this
doesn't happen because of Hugo's proposals. Even in IKEv2-05 we have the
same problem.
If Eve uses a spoofed IDi and doesn't put AUTH payload in message 3 (she
wants to use legacy  authentication,) she can mount a polling attack.
(because only in message 4 that she proves her Identity)

[SNIP]

> Yoav

Antonio Forzieri
CEFRIEL - Politecnico di Milano