Re: RE2: Do ipsec vendors care about privacy?

Gregory,

Your previous email seemed to be talking about what I described as
solution (2), namely the responder auhenticates in message 2 rather than
in msg 4. In that case the issue of how R knows that he needs to respond
with authentication in message 2 (rather than the regular IKE behaviour)
is a valid question. The only solution I can see for that is to add an
indication from the Initiator in message 1 (either an additional field in
the message or some other trick such a convention about the value of SPI
chosen by I).

The email below, however, seems to be talking about solution (1) in
which the only difference with the current mechanism for EAP support in
ikev2-05 (sec 2.16) is moving IDi from msg 3 to msg 5.
In this case there is no problem for R to know that the initiator intends
to do a EAP-authentication. As explained in page 27 of draft-05:
 "An initiator indicates a desire to use extended authentication by
   leaving out the AUTH payload from message 3."
Same will hold with the modified solution.

The question is: DOES THE RESPONDER (GATEWAY) NEED TO KNOW the value IDi
IN ORDER TO DETERMINE THE CONTENTS OF THE EAP PAYLOAD SENT IN MESSAGE 4?

If the answer is NO (as assumed in the PIC protocol developed under the ipsra
WG) then solution (1) provides user's privacy at no extra cost and we should
certainly go with it for IKEv2.
If the answer is that R CANNOT know how to generate the EAP payload if it does
not know IDi then we can forget of solution (1).
If the answer is: most usually R does NOT NEED to know IDi
(but in some special case it may need it) then I'd still go with solution (1).
In my view, user's privacy in the remote access scenario is more important than
covering some unusual cases.

IF for some reason solution (1) is deemed inappropriate then solution (2)
should be chosen but then the real question is what indication can the
initiator provide to the responder for the latter to know that it needs to
authenticate (send IDr and AUTH)  in message 2. Note that in this solution
the responder sends the EAP payload in message 4 AFTER having learned IDi
in message 3, so the above problem with solution (1) does not exisit here.

Hugo