RE: Do ipsec vendors care about privacy?

I like the EAPC idea, although I am not sure that it will actually solve a
real problem.  Ususally Alice has only one means of authenticating herself
(she doesn't have a smart card, in addition to a token card and the password
that she remembers).  Still, if two implementations support a user-password
scheme, but one calls it MD5 while the other calls it GTC, it would be nice
to know at the end of the first message.

As for making the IDr in message 3 mandatory for SLA, I think that is a good
idea that solves our polling attack concern.  I think the draft should not
prohibit using an ID_IPV4_ADDR, but it should recommend (at the SHOULD
level) to use some sort of DN or if none exists, and FQDN.  Someone might
want to set up a gateway that anybody can connect to.

You mentioned that "... what seems to me harder to solve is that many EAP
methods require a valid Identity before sending the first EAP message".
What EAP methods are those?  MD5 just sends a random challenge.  It only
needs the identity to check the response.  GTC just expects the password.
It also doesn't need the identity until it's time to check the password.
RSA should not be used as legacy authentication.  I'm not sure about OTP.
It is possible that some authentication servers such as RADIUS need to know
the identity before they send out an MD5 challenge.

That is an implementation problem, which is why I'd rather use GTC for all
legacy authentication methods (RADIUS, LDAP, OS password, etc.)  That way,
the gateway receives the actual password and the ID after message 5.  It can
then do whatever authentication protocol it wishes with an authentication
server.

If somebody does plan to use MD5 with such a RADIUS server, then I guess
they will have to implement the full EAP protocol (including the Identity
messages) and prolong the negotiation to 4 RT.

Yoav