RE: draft-ietf-ipsec-ikev2-06.txt

Hi all, delurking here for a moment as an implementor of a system which
computationally generates IKE PSK's.

Obviously a maximum-length cryptographically random PSK is "best" from a
total security pt of view, in opposition to human generated passwords.
This does not seem to be in question. The question is how and whether to
mandate and/or enforce this.

One point I'd like to make is, if the protocol specifies a MUST for
this...then there would have to exist some method for determining
noncompliance with this MUST.  It is in my opinion contradictory to specify
the PSK's are defined and exchanged "out of band" and then set a MUST
requirement on that out-of-band process.  An IKE implementation itself will
operate correctly and in compliance with this specification regardless of
the means of derivation of the PSK.  A SHOULD is still a strong
recommendation.

(Additionally, if you are going down this path, "deriving the shared secret
from a password is not secure" doesn't go far enough.  True, "user passwords
are unlikely to have sufficient randomness".  But so would using host or
peer IP address or name or system time, for example.  The point is GIGO:
insufficient entropy in, insufficient security out.)

I'd suggest amending the text so that section 2.15 contains that protocol
specification in SHOULD terms; and then including very strong best practices
recommendations in the Security Considerations section.  This will leave no
doubt as to the desirability of randomness, but will not muddy the core
protocol with things that cannot reasonably be enforced within the protocol
itself.

2.15:

   It will commonly be the case (but it is not required) that if a shared
secret
   is used for authentication that the same key is used in both directions.
[snip]  In
   the case of a pre-shared key, the AUTH value is computed as:

      AUTH = prf(Shared Secret | "Key Pad for IKEv2", <message octets>)

   where the string "Key Pad for IKEv2" is ASCII encoded and not null
   terminated. The shared secret can be variable length. The pad string
   is added so that if the shared secret is derived from a password, the
   IKE implementation need not store the password in cleartext, but
   rather can store a one way transformation of it that could not be
   used as a password equivalent for protocols other than IKEv2. [end]

5 Security Considerations:

When using pre-shared keys, a critical consideration is how to ensure the
randomness of these secrets.  The strongest practice is to ensure that any
pre-shared key contain as much randomness as the strongest key being
negotiated. Deriving a shared secret solely from a password, name, other
low-entropy source is not secure; passwords and other such sources are
subject to dictionary and social engineering attacks, among others.

+ Mark Anthony Beadles  + mbeadles@smartpipes.com +