RE: [rohc] RE: (in)security of ESP with header compression

Hi Steve,

I see a trade-off here between tweaking ROHC to deal with reordering
channels (it may be easy or hard, I don't know) and tweaking the ESP
*implementation* to undo such reordering. I accept that the RFC doesn't
mandate or even suggest it, and from an architectural perspective it's not
clean. But it's a minor change to the implementation of sequence-number
handling in ESP, which can be spelled out specifically in a "Header
compression over ESP" draft. Otherwise you need to work very hard to
implement ROHC (or CRTP, or ECRTP) securely over ESP, going through
contortions like the proposed authentication-before-compression (sorry
David).

Re: your comment in a previous mail, on negotiating ROHC in IKE. IKEv2 has a
IPCOMP_SUPPORTED notification, which can be extended (and renamed to
COMPRESSION_SUPPORTED?) by adding ROHC, ECRTP etc. This DOES NOT mean that
ROHC should be an IPComp profile, only that it's negotiated in an analogous
manner. IPComp makes different assumptions regarding traffic (packet
lengths) compared to ROHC, and therefore probably doesn't do the job here.
But this is for the ROHC people to judge.

I am being somewhat simplistic, you may need to negotiate some basic
compression parameters as well, just like the existing IPCOMP_{OUI, DEFLATE,
LZS} values of this field.

Speaking about the IPSec architecture, it's a pity that compression
parameters remain an integral part of IKE v2, rather than add-ons.

Best regards,
	Yaron