RE: [rohc] RE: (in)security of ESP with header compression

Yaron,

> ESP includes a 32-bit sequence number. It is mandatory for
> the sender to set and increment it correctly, but optional
> for the receiver to verify it. It is there to prevent
> malicious replay of messages.
>
> Under these assumptions, I don't believe any change to the
> operating assumptions of ROHC, or a new ROHC profile, is
> needed. This is not "ROHC over tunnels" but only "ROHC over
> ESP", but it's still an interesting case.

This is the approach we have previously discussed in ROHC
(just informally), and most tunneling protocols seem to have
a similar sequence number. The solution would then just be
a modified decompressor, making use of the tunnel sequence
number.

But still, someone should look more carefully at this, and
write something.

Rgds,
/L-E