IANA administrative issues with draft-ietf-ipsec-doi-tc-mib-07.txt

On Fri, 18 Apr 2003, C. M. Heard wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Apr 2003, Wes Hardaker wrote:
> > On Thu, 17 Apr 2003, C. M. Heard wrote:
> > C> The extra burden on IANA is a very real concern, and when I
> > C> started the review of this MIB module most of the comments
> > C> I wrote were related to changes that I thought would be
> > C> necessary in order to make that tractable.
> >
> > If that is the reason you want to oppose the use of enums, then
> > it is a more understandable argument from my eyes at least.
> > Unfortunately, there is still functionality lost if this is the
> > case.  Does it mean we should never create enums in MIBs when it
> > is supposed to match another standards document?  We should
> > always use references and no real values (in enums, description
> > clauses or comments) in that case?
> >
> > I would argue that the administrative burden isn't as big a
> > problem either.
>
> You might not think so when you've seen the details that apply
> to this case.  Unfortunately, [ ... ] I will have to defer the
> details of that discussion [ ... ] until next week.

Here is the promised discussion.  iana@iana.org have been bcc:'d
and are invited to weigh in with their opinions.

The reason why I forsee a significant adminstrative burden if the
MIB module in <draft-ietf-ipsec-doi-tc-mib-07.txt> is turned over
to the IANA for maintenance is that the number assignments captured
by the enumerated INTEGER TCs in that module overlap those recorded
in two existing IANA registries, namely the IANA Internet Security
Association and Key Management Protocol (ISAKMP) Identifiers
registry (http://www.iana.org/assignments/isakmp-registry) and
the IANA Internet Key Exchange (IKE) Attributes registry
(http://www.iana.org/assignments/ipsec-registry).  The implication
is that the IANA would have to maintain the assignments in two
places, or else would have to reorganize those registries so that
the proposed MIB module was the registry of record for the
parameters it covers.  The draft proposes the latter course of
action, but it should be noted that the existing registries would
not be eliminated, because the proposed MIB module does not cover
all of the parameters and attributes recorded in the registries.

It might be useful to make a side-by-side comparison of which
parameters and attributes are covered both in the MIB module and
the existing IANA registries, which ones appear in a registry
file (or one of the IPsec RFCs) but not in the MIB module, and
which ones appear in the MIB module but not in the registry files.

The parameters and attributes from the IANA Internet Security
Association and Key Management Protocol (ISAKMP) Identifiers
registry (http://www.iana.org/assignments/isakmp-registry) that are
captured by some textual convention in the draft are as follows:

 Parameter/Attribute Name                Textual Convention

 IPSEC Situation Definition              IpsecDoiSituation
 IPSEC Security Protocol Identifiers     IpsecDoiSecProtocolId
 IPSEC ISAKMP Transform Identifiers      IpsecDoiTransformIdent
 IPSEC AH Transform Identifiers          IpsecDoiAhTransform
 IPSEC ESP Transform Identifiers         IpsecDoiEspTransform
 IPSEC IPCOMP Transform Identifiers      IpsecDoiIpcompTransform
 IPSEC Security Association Attributes
   Encapsulation Mode                    IpsecDoiEncapsulationMode
   Authentication Algorithm              IpsecDoiAuthAlgorithm
 IPSEC Identification Type               IpsecDoiIdentType
 IPSEC Notify Message Types              IkeNotifyMessageType

 Notes:
        (a) In the case of IkeNotifyMessageType, only those
 enumerated values within the DOI-specific ranges 8192-16383 and
 24576-32767 are recorded in the registry.  The IkeNotifyMessageType
 TC also includes the DOI-independent values that are defined in RFC
 2408 Section 3.14.1 (and captured by the IsakmpNotifyMessageType
 TC).  Since the DOI-specific enumerations associated with the
 IkeNotifyMessageType TC are defined in RFC 2407 rather than RFC
 2409, it seems that it is mis-named and should probably have been
 called IpsecDoiNotifyMessageType.
        (b) The registry specifies that values in the range
 8192-16383 are error codes allocated for "private use within a
 DOI".  This agrees with RFC 2407 but apparently disagrees with RFC
 2408, which states that values in this range are for private use
 (but also states that values in the private use range are expected
 to be DOI-specific values).  The registry (and RFC 2407) also
 specify that status codes in the range 32001-32767 are reserved
 for private use among consenting systems;  however, while RFC 2408
 does allocates status codes in the range 24576-32767 for
 DOI-specific use, it also allocates status codes in the range
 32768-40959 for private use.  This confusion needs to be fixed.

The parameters and attributes from the IANA Internet Security
Association and Key Management Protocol (ISAKMP) Identifiers
registry (http://www.iana.org/assignments/isakmp-registry) that are
NOT captured by any textual convention in the draft are as follows:

 IPSEC Security Association Attribute Class
   SA Life Type
   SA Life Duration
   Group Description
   Key Length
   Key Rounds
   Compression Dictionary Size
   Compression Private Algorithm
   ECN Tunnel
 IPSEC Labeled Domain Identifier

 Notes:
        (a) SA Life Duration, Compression Dictionary Size, and
 Compression Private Algorithm are such that management of values by
 the IANA is not required;  however, Compression Dictionary Size and
 Compression Private Algorithm are mentioned in the registry, and
 TCs to represent them might be useful (although they might best be
 located in a MIB module that is not maintained by the IANA).
        (b) There is a section in the IANA ISAKMP registry for Group
 Description attribute values but that attribute is not mentioned
 here since its values are identical with those for the IKE Group
 Description attribute, which are listed in the IANA IKE Attributes
 registry discussed below.

The attributes from the IANA Internet Key Exchange (IKE) Attributes
registry (http://www.iana.org/assignments/ipsec-registry) that are
captured by some textual convention in the draft are as follows:

 Attribute Name                          Textual Convention

 Encryption Algorithm                    IkeEncryptionAlgorithm
 Hash Algorithm                          IkeHashAlgorithm
 IPSEC Authentication Methods            IkeAuthMethod
 Group Description                       IkeGroupDescription
 Group Type                              IkeGroupType
 PRF                                     IkePrf
 Additional Exchanges (XCHG values)      IkeExchangeType

 Notes:
        (a) In the case of IkeExchangeType, only those enumerated
 values within the DOI-specific range 32-239 are recorded in the
 registry.  The IkeExchangeType TC also includes the DOI-independent
 values that are defined in RFC 2408 Section 3.1 (and captured by
 the IsakmpExchangeType TC).
        (b) No PRF values are currently registered, and IkePrf is
 a subranged Unsigned32 type, not an enumerated INTEGER type.
 Since Unsigned32 and INTEGER have different over-the-wire
 representations and Unsigned32 does not admit enumerations, the
 base type would need to be changed to INTEGER in order for future
 registered values to be represented as enumerations.

The attributes from the IANA Internet Key Exchange (IKE) Attributes
registry (http://www.iana.org/assignments/ipsec-registry) and/or
RFC 2409 that are NOT captured by any textual convention in the
draft are as follows:

 Attribute Class
  Group Prime/Irreducible Polynomial
  Group Generator One
  Group Generator Two
  Group Curve A
  Group Curve B
  Life Type
  Life Duration
  Key Length
  Field Size
  Group Order

 Note:  Group Prime/Irreducible Polynomial, Group Generator One,
 Group Generator Two, Group Curve A, Group Curve B, and Life
 Duration are such that management of values by the IANA is not
 required, and their values are not listed in the IKE Attributes
 registry;  however, they are defined in RFC 2409 and TCs to
 represent them might be useful (although they might best be
 located in a MIB module that is not maintained by the IANA).

Certain of the textual conventions in the proposed MIB module
capture parameters and attributes which are not recorded in either
of the above-mentioned IANA registries, but which are mentioned in
the IPsec RFCs and in a a registry update proposal (accessible
on-line at http://www.vpnc.org/iana-ipsec/current-propsal.txt)
that was recently discussed on the ipsec@lists.tislabs.com mailing
list.  Here is the list of the "missing in action" TCs and where
the corresponding parameter or attribute is mentioned:

 Textual Convention              Where param or attrib is mentioned

 IsakmpDOI                       RFC 2407 Section 4.1,
                                 RFC 2408 Appendix A
                                 (see proposal item #16)

 IsakmpCertificateEncoding       RFC 2408 Section 3.9
                                 (see proposal item #13)

 IsakmpExchangeType              RFC 2408 Section 3.1
                                 (see proposal item #12, but
                                 note that it includes both
                                 the DOI-independent stuff in
                                 RFC 2408 Section 3.1 and
                                 the the stuff discussed in
                                 RFC 2409 appendix A that
                                 is specific to IKE, and so
                                 corresponds more precisely
                                 to the IkeExchangeType TC)

 IsakmpNotifyMessageType         RFC 2408 Section 3.14.1
                                 (see proposal item #10, but
                                 note that it includes both
                                 the DOI-independent stuff in
                                 RFC 2408 Section 3.14.1 and
                                 the the stuff discussed in
                                 RFC 2407 Section 4.6.3 that
                                 is specific to the IPsec
                                 DOI, and so corresponds
                                 more precisely to the
                                 IkeNotifyMessageType TC)

I hope that this comparison serves to shed some light on the
amount of work that would be necessary if the MIB module in
<draft-ietf-ipsec-doi-tc-mib-07.txt> is turned over to the IANA for
maintenance.  If the IPsec-related registry files remain structured
as they are presently, there will be a need to update at least one
TC (and in some cases two TCs) when a new value is registered for
most IPsec parameters.  If the TCs in the MIB module become
authoritative and duplication is eliminated, then there will be a
lot of restructuring work needed.  In either case the administrative
burden is non-trivial, and I think that is a reason for concern.
None of this would be necessary if the base types of the TCs were
changed to subranged Unsigned32 (like IkePrf) with a pointer where
appropriate to the existing IANA registry.

So the question (leaving aside for the moment the questions of
legality under SMI rules) is whether the benefits of having the
enumeration labels are worth the administrative burden.  Remember
the burden will be borne not only by the IANA but also by document
authors who have to generate the instructions to add new things to
the registries.

Mike Heard