Re: Question on inbound IPSEC policy check

Hi,

I had a doubt in the following scenario:

>>Office1Network-----SG1---------Internet------------SG2-------Office2Network.

SG1 has two outbound and two inbound policies of auto key management

outbound policies:
1. source as office1network, destination as office2network, protocol as TCP,
    source port and destination port 80. IPSEC attributes: ESP, DES.
    This policy is configured with higher priority.

2. source as office1network, destination as office2network, protocol as ANY,
    IPSEC attributes: AH, MD5.
    This policy is configured with low priority.

inbound policies:
1. source as office2network, destination as office1network, protocol as TCP,
    source port and destination port 80. IPSEC attributes: ESP, DES.
    This policy is configured with higher priority.

2. source as office2network, destination as office1network, protocol as ANY,
    IPSEC attributes: AH, MD5.
    This policy is configured with low priority.

SG2 has one outbound and one inbound policy of auto key management:

outbound policy:
1. source as office2network, destination as office1network, protocol as ANY,
    IPSEC attributes: AH, MD5.

inbound policy:
1. source as office1network, destination as office2network, protocol as ANY,
    IPSEC attributes: AH, MD5.

SG2 started IKE negotiation with its configured IPSEC policy.

After IKE negotiation , IPSEC SAs will be created both sides with IPSEC
attributes : AH and MD5.

When SG2 sends the HTTP traffic with the using above SAs,
SG1 process the inbound IPSEC packets, after processing it finds the IPSEC
policy with the packet selectors.

In this case SG1 has separate IPSEC policy is configured for HTTP traffic
(IPSEC attributes ESP,DES) with higher priority.

My doubt was "Should we need to drop such inbound traffic in SG1 side???"

As per Ramana's mail I have gone through the RFC 2401 section 5.2.1.

Now my understanding is that we should not drop such traffic.

I hope the above description is clear.

Please let me know if my understanding is correct.

Thanks
Jyothi