From: Srinivasa Rao Addepalli [mailto:srao@intotoinc.com]
Sent: Friday, May 02, 2003 12:31 PM
To: Vinay K Nallamothu; BSingh@Nomadix.com
Cc: msiler@hcin.net; ipsec@lists.tislabs.com
Subject: Re: IPSec Passthrough

Hi,
   These are the ways to run IPSEC tunnel between two SGs with
   Firewall/NATs in between the security gateways.

   1. L2TP over IPSEC (rfc3193): It works well and very useful
       to provide remote access for VPN clients. As you may be aware,
       WINXP/WIN2000 comes with built in client.
       Microsoft also provides free client software for WIN98.
       More and more vendors are supporting LNS with IPSEC.

        Disadvantage: More bandwidth is used.

  2. IPSEC NAT Traversal:
       There is very less penalty on bandwidth compared to L2TP over IPSEC
       (use v2 onwards). Most of the vendors support this feature and is
       interoperable.

  3. NAT boxes having ESP/IKE intelligence:
      In this case, there is no bandwidth penalty. But there are some
disadvantages
      with this:
          A. Can't expect this intelligence to be there in all NAT boxes.
          B. Though many clients can establish tunnels with the corp.
gateway, until
               tunnel is established in both ways, other clients can't
connect to the
              same peer.

Srini
Intoto Inc.