Re: IPSEC in High Availability scenarios

Title:
Suren,
     This is one of the problem I am trying to solve for one of my customers.
     But fortunately, we don't have requirement of using same tunnel when
     the backup takes over.
     Even without having to have new tunnel to be established, I did not see
     any proper and interoperable solution. This is one of the reason I propose
     to have 'Dead Peer Tunnel (SA) detection'. With this, the other party
     know eventually that tunnel got terminated on other side and creates
     new tunnel.

     SA transfer may not be a good idea for several reasons.
     A. Keying material also has to be sent. There may be security issues
         with this.
     B. SA is not stateful. If it is not there, IPSEC nodes creates new SA.
         No connection will be terminated.
         It is not like Firewall/NAT sessions, where some state information
         needs to be syn'ed up for smooth takeover.

     I don't see any requirement for this with my limited knowledge.
     But if there is need for it, then the proposal you suggested seems
     one possible solution.

     Regards
     Ravi

suren wrote:
Hi,

  Small introduction:
  We find the IPSEC is being used in critical applications and
  high availability is one of requirements of customers. Typically
  two SGs are used - one acting as Master and other acting as
  backup device. VRRP like kind of utilities are used to detect
  the aliveness of master SG. Backup SG inherits the same IP
  address. In these cases, the remote peers don't know that
  that there are two SGs and control is transferred from master
  to backup device.

  Problem:
  Due to critical timing nature of applications run on IPSEC tunnels,
  customers are increasingly asking for SA transfer between master and backup
  so that backup can take over tunnel when master fails (To avoid new tunnel establishment).
  There is a problem when anti-replay is enabled on SAs, which is MUST in
  most of the cases. Transferring this change of sequence number
  information between master and backup device,might have performance
  implications and some times not practical.

  Solution:
  Today, we have proprietary mechanism to solve this problem, but
  it works between same kind of implementations. We are trying to
  see if there is any inter-operable solution for this problem. We feel that
  backup device can send notification message (when tunnels in backup
  device get activated) indicating to the peer that it can accept the
  packets with some specific sequence number. Basically, synchronizing
  the sequence numbers in the tunnel.
  What do others think of this solution: Having SYNCH-SEQUENCE
  notification message. We can force that this has to be protected message.
  Also, we can have sequence number information for detecting replaying
  of this notification message.

  Do you see any problem with this approach? Or Is there any inter-operable
  solution already defined?

Thank you for you time.
Suren
Intoto Inc.
3160, De La Cruz Blvd #100
Santa Clara, CA
www.intotoinc.com

--
signature

The views presented in this mail are completely mine. The company is not responsible for whatsoever.

Ravi Kumar CH
Rendezvous On Chip (i) Pvt Ltd
Hyderabad, India
Ph: