RE: EAP Handling in IKEv2

Granted, if the RADIUS server supports EAP MS-CHAPv2 we can use the legacy
passwords with the new method and everybody's happy.  The problem with
legacy authentication is that it sometimes comes with a legacy
authentication server that may not support EAP at all.

Take a hypothetical administrator who wants to use a mainframe RACF database
as their user directory.  10 years ago they wrote an assembly language
program (the mainframe administrator's favorite language) that mimics a
RADIUS server that supports only PAP.  Their program is simple: it just
receives the name and password, translates them into EBCDIC and runs a
RACHECK macro to verify that the user password is correct and that the user
is allowed to use the resource "VPN".  This was easily integrated with
XAuth.  Should we now force the administrator to rewrite his program so that
it supports MS-CHAPv2?

I would rather have the client just send the password to the VPN gateway and
have the VPN gateway communicate with the authentication server by whatever
means necessary.  In a previous post I suggested using the GTC method which
simply sends the password.  Untunneled GTC, just like PAP, is so insecure
that no client will ever be configured to use it.  GTC will only be used
either through a tunnel or through a secure medium.  Now if there was a
method that passed the password to the gateway and also generated keys, that
would be great, but none of the EAP methods has a published document (draft
or RFC) and does that.