Re: Confirm decision on identity handling.

>Can you give a real-world example of the process you describe below?
>That is, what sort of ID payload would be sent, what might it contain,
>and how would the policies look against which this compared?

Sorry for the late reply (I wasn't following the list last week). Anyway, I
think we sometimes get too hung up on defining scenarios, rather than
providing a framework for interoperability and allowing vendors to choose
their own problem spaces. But nonetheless, I can give you a few scenarios:

1. A customer decides to consolidate its VPNs. Previously, there were 3
different VPNs at various branch offices and the policies were not
homogenous. Some of the policies are expressed in terms of USER_FQDNs,
others by IP address and still others by distinguished name. The id payload
provides a key into the policy database and allows a single search pass
instead of 3.

2. For remote access, it is common to use some kind of XAuth-like process
where the true identity of the user is not authenticated by IKE itsself. For
IKEv2, the decision on whether to authenticate the user with EAP may depend
on the contents of the id payload. Imagine that the phase 1 authentication
is performed with a machine certificate and the user's id is completely
divorced from the certificate.

Andrew
The odd thing about fairness is when
we strive so hard to be equitable