RE: Confirm decision on identity handling.

Paul is totally right on this one. From experience with Project Dploy, where
we tried to get better interop between IPsec vendors and PKI vendors after
talking to many customers about actual usage issues, this is what we found:
It is a daunting task for the deployers to get the cert contents to match
exactly what the VPN application needs. This is true for a variety of
reasons, many of which Paul noted below. The biggest is that often the VPN
deployer has little or zero impact/control/say in how the CA builds certs.
It's just not reality to expect that the VPN can dictate or ensure some
field in the Cert will contain what they need.

This is why many of us have been pushing for disassociating the two.

... [sarcasm ahead] or maybe we can just forget the whole issue because, in
reality, so few deployers even care to try to make certs work with VPNs
anymore because we have screwed it up so badly for them for so long ...

> So, yes you can make this work, but the likelihood of
> interoperability quickly approaches zero.

And there is a big difference between being able to be configured to be
interoperable, and being practically *usable*. Matching ID to something in
the cert CAN be done successfully, but actual deployment experience has
proven it almost impossible. Just ask the support teams from the major IPsec
vendors.

Lets try to build something people can actually USE this time, eh?

I vote for disassociating ID from cert contents. (BUT, I proposed text that
would allow for those who desired/required to be able to match if they
wanted to).