Re: Confirm decision on identity handling.

Hi,

I am trying to understand the issues. Some time back, there was
rough consensus that 'Matching ID payload data with certificate
Identification' is local matter as a receiver. As a sender,
implementation need to make sure to send ID payload data same as
Certificate ID as the receiver may be checking for equality of both IDs.
If the sender knows that receiver does not check for the equality, then
the sender can send different IDs between ID payload from certificate
ID.

Some implementations already do this for supporting remote access.
In remote access, road warriors are initiators and Corporate SG is
typically configured in 'Responder' only mode. One IKE policy is
created with
           - Wild card domain name as peer ID.
             For example, *.abc.com can be give as Peer ID.
             Then all remote access users whose IDs are ending with

             abc.com will be authenticating using this IKE policy.

          -  Accept any whose signing CA is 'DN of CA'.
             This is typically useful when corporate office has their own
             CA and anybody got certificate from this CA is authenticated
             using this policy.

In above examples, really there is no check between ID payload and
Certificate in verbatim. It is local decision.

Can't we leave the decision of IDs check as local decision? What type of
additional simplification are we trying to make it for easy deployment?
Thanks and regards
Ravi

--

The views presented in this mail are completely mine. The company is not
responsible for whatsoever.

ROC home page <http://www.roc.co.in>