Re: IPSec Implementation

Hey George,

I was doing the same thing a while ago, I looked into
Kame, and briefly went through the code, seems the
Kame is ok to understand, anyway they are all based on
the standard (I mean, the IKE part).
I think there're some difference between the open
source implementations:
 1.FreeS/wan: they do not support those they think are
unsecure, like single DES, DH group 1, agressive mode,
etc. Besides, freeswan is not used in VPNC testing.
 2.openbsd (isakmpd): they have hardware support (like
Hifn chips), they do not support multiple ESP/AH
headers as required by an iterated VPN cloud. Model
IPsec tunnel as pseudo interfaces.
 3.kame (racoon): do not model IPsec tunnel as pseudo
interfaces (maybe a good thing). Does not implement
byte lifetime for both phase 1 and phase 2.

As for the documentation, Kame has some documents in
Japanese. The best way still is to go over the code, I
think the open source documentation is not sufficient
enough.

As for the modification, I only looked into Kame,
which is based on PF_KEY socket implementation, so if
your system is socket based it should be easier.

I am still very interested in this, if you have any
result, can you let me know?

Regards,
Feng Ye