New roles for Angelos and Tero

Hi,

We're approaching the last mile in the working group (unbelievable,
right?). To help us successfully meet the remaining objectives, we're going
to take advantage of a couple of roles described in RFC 2418 and add both a
secretary and a facilitator to our working group.  When I think of all the
issues and decisions that Ted and I have tried to manage over the past
couple of years (and for the working group as a whole over many years), I
wish we'd used these roles more. Well, better late than never :-)

Secretary: Angelos Keromytis

RFC 2418 says: "Taking minutes and editing working group documents often is
performed by a specifically-designated participant or set of
participants.  In this role, the Secretary's job is to record WG decisions,
rather than to perform basic specification."

Angelos is going to run a ticket system that will keep track of wg
decisions that we make going forward. Each issue with each document becomes
a trouble ticket in the system.  The system is used to track the issues and
document their resolution.  This system will provide a publicly visible
record so it should prevent flip-flopping such as what happened with suites
vs a la carte.  As we progress IKEv2, it will get broader visibility from
the IETF community and this tracking will be very important. We also have
another piece of work, the update to RFC 2401, that we want to move through
the process as smoothly as possible. And, of course, there are documents
still in the pipeline for which issues might still be raised.

Facilitator: Tero Kivinen

RFC 2418 says: "When meetings tend to become distracted or divisive, it
often is helpful to assign the task of "process management" to one
participant.  Their job is to oversee the nature, rather than the content,
of participant interactions.  That is, they attend to the style of the
discussion and to the schedule of the agenda, rather than making direct
technical contributions themselves."

We don't intend to take this so literally that Tero is now unable to make
technical contributions to the discussion. That would be a terrible mistake
and loss for the working group. Rather, he will make additional postings
with a facilitator hat on to keep the discussion on track. Tero's job will
be to keep each thread on track, spawning new issues on separate threads as
appropriate.  Ted and I have, in the past, allowed discussions to continue
on various topics in the spirit of free speech. But we recognize that
sometimes these discussions are confusing to working group members,
especially when they continue to focus on an issue for which a decision has
been made.  Assuming the mantel of facilitator, Tero will be more assertive
in moving this sort of discussion to other venues. :-)

Please join Ted and I in thanking Angelos and Tero for their willingness to
take on these roles.

Thanks,
Barb and Ted