Editorial: Use of MAY in draft-ietf-ipsec-ikev2-algorithms

Greetings again. The tables in draft-ietf-ipsec-ikev2-algorithms have
MUST, SHOULD, MUST-, SHOULD+, SHOULD- (which I have proposed
removing), and MAY. The MAY designation is silly, since an
implementation MAY do whatever it pleases for non-mandatory
algorithms.

The reason I bring this up was the proposal that DES should be
demoted to SHOULD NOT. That is somewhat harsh given that there are
places where DES is appropriate (low value transactions in
implementations that already have DES in them). Listing DES as "MAY"
gives the wrong impression. The document should be re-cast to list
all the registered algorithms, but to remove "MAY" from those that do
not have a stronger designation.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--VPN Consortium