RE: Editorial: Use of MAY in draft-ietf-ipsec-ikev2-algorithms

At 10:22 AM -0400 6/12/03, Paul Koning wrote:
>96 is probably enough but it's not a common keysize, so 128 makes
>sense.

But only if you want to eliminate TripleDES, whose key size is 112
bits. No one counts the parity bits as meaningful.

Yes, I'm being picky about this. As we have seen from IKEv1, sloppy
wording which "everybody" understands at the time the RFC is issued
becomes confusing and leads to lack of interoperability within a few
short years.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--VPN Consortium