Re: Duplication: Remove most of section 3.3.2 and all of 3.3.4 of draft-ietf-ipsec-ikev2

On Tue, Jun 10, 2003 at 08:05:43PM -0700, Paul Hoffman / VPNC wrote:
> Hi again. Most of section 3.3.2 in draft-ietf-ipsec-ikev2 (almost)
> duplicates the text from Jeff's algorithms document. Everything in
> the section after the Transform Type Values table should be removed.
>
> All of section 3.3.4 of draft-ietf-ipsec-ikev2 is now covered in
> Jeff's algorithms document. Thus, the whole section should be removed.

None of the code points in the IKEV2 document are authoratative; that
honor belongs to the IANA registry.  Yet, they are useful because
there are a useful guide to initial implementors.  It is for that
reason that I believe a little duplication can be a good thing.

Otherwise, one could argue that all of the tables in IKEv2 are
duplicative of the IANA registry, and therefore aren't needed; we
should just establish the IANA registry and just delete all of the
tables from the I-D (and from every other RFC that has initial
codepoint values in them).

						- Ted