IKEv2 payload #14

I recently noticed that payload type 14, which was the attribute payload for
mode config and xauth in IKEv1 as been reused for TSi in IKEv2.  This causes
some hardships for IKEv1 implementations that support mode config and xauth,
because now payload 14 will have completely different meanings, based on
context.  I think it would be better to leave payload 14 reserved in IKEv2.

A couple of weeks ago I sent out a message noting the changed encoding for
protocols in proposals (between IKEv1 and IKEv2).  I didn't get any responses
on this.  Is anyone else having trouble dealing with changed encoding in IKEv2
implementations?

I realize fixing these things would require bits on the wire changes, and
it's rather late for that.  However, I think it's important to make people
aware of implementation issues, like this.
--
Steve Koehler
koehler@securecomputing.com