Re: IKE negotiation for fragmentation controls in IPsec

Hi Steve,

  Negotiation on SA basis:
  Assuming that intermediate router fragmentation problem is solved,
  does it require negotiation on SA basis? I feel, it can be on peer basis.
  Either it can be set as local configuration on peer basis or capabilities
  of the peers can be exchanged using Vendor ID attributes.

   Port Selector information:
   I did not understand all the details you mentioned. I feel, there is no need
   for any IKE negotiation for tunnel mode sessions. I try to list down the
   steps.

      Outbound Processing steps:
             - Reassemble the packet (Packet coming from trusted network).
             - Search for outbound SPD and corresponding SA Bundle to use.
             - (New step, based on local configuration):
                     * Determine the packet size increase (based on SAs,
                            Padding, outer IP header etc.. )
                     * Get the PMTU
                     * Fragment the packet so that there is no fragmentation is
                            required after doing ciphering and adding SA headers etc..
            - Pass the fragments through outbound SA processing.
            - Send out the secured packets.

       Inbound Processing steps:
            (Assuming that the local configuration requires that all secured packets
             from a particular peer have to be complete packets )
           - (New Step):  Check for Destination IP and Protocol field from IP header.
                If it indicates AH/ESP or Destination IP is local SG IP address and if
                  it is not full packet, discard the packet.
           - Pass the packet through the inbound SA processing.
           - Reassemble the clear packets
           - Check against the inbound policies.

      Based on above steps, I feel there is no need for IKE negotiation for this.
      Am I missing anything?

Thanks
Srini
Intoto Inc.