Re: Suggested wording for weak key lengths in IKEv2

On Thu, 26 Jun 2003, Paul Hoffman / VPNC wrote:
> As noted on the list, not everyone agrees that the effective strength
> of TripleDES is 112 bits, given differing values for amount of RAM
> and so on. I think it is better to just leave it as "effective
> strength" and let folks decide what that means.

NO NO NO NO NO!  That means we have a standard which means different
things to different people, and nobody can tell which interpretation is
right!  This is TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE.

If the problem is that people don't agree on 3DES's "effective strength",
then get rid of those words, and say something people can understand and
agree on, like "minimum 100 bits".

                                                          Henry Spencer
                                                       henry@spsystems.net