Re: IKE negotiation for fragmentation controls in IPsec

Umm... The routers in between Security gateways can fragment
         the packets and how does the receiving SG behave? One way
         to ensure that the routers in between don't fragment is by
attaching
         DF bit by transmitting SG and handling of ICMP PMTU messages.

         You seem to be suggesting that there could be active IP ID
hijacking
          and confuse the receiving router and make SG to discard valid
         packets. Isn't this problem such a big problem? If so, majority of
         applications should fail.

         Also, if a hijacker can do this, why can't he/she spoof ICMP
         PMTU message to confuse the sender.

         Only other solution I could think of: Send the IP packet of length
         which is acceptable by  all routers, I think it is around 570
bytes or so.
         But performance is going to be very bad and I don't think it is
acceptable.

         If this feature to be implemented, there should be a way to
find out
         the maximum path MTU using some other method. One way I could
         think on top of my head is:
         Sending SG finds out the path MTU periodically by starting with
         1500 byte packet and reducing the packet size until the receiver
          receives it successfully. Receiver once receives the packet should
         ACK it. Sender should wait for some time before it reduces the
packet
         size. Even this protocol also should be protected from hijacker
in the middle.

         Thanks
          Ravi

--

The views presented in this mail are completely mine. The company is not
responsible for whatsoever.

ROC home page <http://www.roc.co.in>