From: owner-ipsec@lists.tislabs.com
[mailto:owner-ipsec@lists.tislabs.com]On Behalf Of Ari Huttunen
Sent: Wednesday, August 06, 2003 12:23 PM
To: Francis Dupont
Cc: Tero Kivinen; tomhu@cisco.com; ietf ipsec
Subject: Re: NAT-T, IKEv2, Vendor ID, port floating??

I would hesitate to make NAT detection mandatory, just for patenting
reasons. I'm not saying there is necessarily any problem with that,
but I remember that detection of a NAT was one thing being claimed by
an SSH patent application. So, if we assume that there are relatively
paranoid people out there who are paranoid about the patent issues, they
wouldn't want NAT detection being mandatory.

(If that didn't contain enough disclaimers) I would point out that it's
a long while since I read those patent applications, and I've no idea
about their current status. Nor do I care about their status.

Ari