Re: revised IPsec processing model

Stephen Kent wrote:

> At 13:36 -0700 8/4/03, Joe Touch wrote:
>
>> Hi, all,
>>
>> Stephen Kent wrote:
>>
>>> Mark,

>>>     <SNIP>

>>> The intent is that the forwarding function can use any data from the
>>> packet. I'm open to suggestions for other names for the function, but
>>> I think Joe Touch suggested this one, and he definitely intended it
>>> to cover the broader set of possible inputs.
>>

>> FYI, we call it forwarding since it would do what IP forwarding does.
>> However, note that IP forwarding, as we have pointed out before,
>> involves more than finding the outgoing interface.
>>
>> Consider a system:

>>               /
>>     a----b
>>               \
>>
>> Where a packet comes from 'a' and goes many hops downstream of 'c' or
>> 'd', where c,d are the nexthops from b. It is possible that c and d
>> are on the same LAN as b, e.g., an FDDI ring or ethernet switch at a POP.
>>
>> In that case, regardless of whether c or d is chosen, the packet will
>> have the same outgoing interface. Outgoing interface alone will be
>> insufficient to support dynamic routing.
>>
>> As we have observed before, IP forwarding specifies both the outgoing
>> interface and the next-hop IP address; both are required to specify
>> the appropriate database.
>>
>> However, as our ID points out, this is a cumbersome solution compared
>> to the alternatives.
>

> Joe,
>
> Cumbersome is in the eye of the beholder :-).
>
> The other folks who participated in the discussions, who are vendors,
> did not seem to agree with the overlay net model you & Lars proposed.

Having just participated in one such meeting in the U.K., at least one
major vendor is prescribing our model as a preferred solution.

> Also, that model seems narrowly focused on end system, vs. SG or BITW,
> implementations.  It is preferable to have a simple model that is
> generally applicable, and that's what we have strived to achieve.

I certainly appreciate, as you have observed, that our perspective is
end-system based. You have also noted:

> ...I am not knowledgeable enough about the details of host
 > implementations to have provided an answer like this.

It would be useful at least if this proposal could be vetted with a
working implementation on both a router and an end host before being
considered as such a major modification to the architecture.

One other question:

What happens to packets when the IPsec-time forwarding lookup differs
from the forwarding that actually happens when the packet would be emitted?

I.e., it seems possible that if I had weak or no encryption on one link,
that it might be possible to leak such packets out onto a link that I
needed strong protection on. If this is not the case, a specific example
would help.

Joe