Re: revised IPsec processing model: Q: VID and forwarding function

Stephen Kent wrote:
> At 13:29 -0700 8/4/03, Joe Touch wrote:
>
>> Stephen Kent wrote:

>>> There was a long series of off-list and post-WG meetings discussions
>>> involving folks had expressed concern over how to modify IPsec
>>> processing to better accommodate PPVPNs and overlay nets. The grouops
>>> included  Mark Duffy, Greg Lebovitz, and Joe Touch I developed this
>>> model and vetted it with this group some months ago.
>>

>> FYI (all):
>>
>> At best, only the basic concept of doing a forwarding lookup was
>> presented during a brief conversation at the Atlanta IETF; I cannot
>> speak for the others, but this thread was the first I've seen of this
>> proposal, and we certainly were not involved in developing it, or
>> participating in a "long series" of meetings about it.
>
> Joe, sorry for the confusion caused by a misplaced "s" in the above
> text. My message was supposed to refer to "post-WG meeting
> discussions."  I think others who read the message interpreted my typo
> as I had intended, and as restated, it is accurate. I did not mean to
> suggest that there were a set of post-WG meetings among the interested
> parties.  We did, however, exchange a number of e-mail messages on the
> topic.

Agreed.

>> I would not consider it 'vetted', but rather proposed at best. Even at
>> that time Lars Eggert and I expressed significant concerns about this
>> proposal.
>>
>> A brief summary of some of those concerns, to the extent that we could
>> address them absent a detailed proposal, was discussed in section
>> 4.1.3 as "Alternative 3" of the final update of our ID on the issue of
>> support for dynamic routing in IPsec (draft-touch-ipsec-vpn-05.txt).
>
> My view is that the majority of the participants in the discussions
> found it an acceptable model, but you and Lars did not.  rough consensus?

I recall only 1-2 other participants in those meetings; it was a quick
chat over the break, as I recall as well. I wouldn't consider that brief
discussion sufficient for anyone to establish consensus, certainly not
based on the absence of detail at that time.

Joe