Re: ESPv3 TFC padding

At 8:29 -0500 8/12/03, Tylor Allison wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I have a few questions on what folks are doing for the Traffic-Flow
>Confidentiality (TFC) padding for ESPv3.  Is there an algorithm being
>deployed for determining how much padding to add, or is that implementation
>specific?  Sorry, I couldn't find any documentation for this feature,
>outside of the ESPv3 draft.
>
>I'm trying to figure out if it is best to use a random amount of TFC padding,
>or to pad out to a certain size (e.g. segment size) for all packets.
>It would seem that random padding probably isn't sufficient, as if you're
>trying to mask small packets, adding a random pad will just result in a
>bigger packet on average, but will still be discernable from a VPN which is
>just passing large packets.
>
>If this is truly implentation specific, I'll just pick what I think is
>best.  But if there has been some discussion on this, or this is a draft
>out there somewhere, I'd like to try and do as others are doing.
>
>Thanks!
>
>Tylor

Tylor,

The safest bet is to add padding to packets to make them all the same
size, e.g, on a per-SA basis,  but this may yield unacceptable
performance in many contexts. So, we have no standard for how to
choose the amount of padding to add to traffic. It ought not be an
implementation decision, however, but rather a parameter under
control of the local admin.

Steve