Re: The remaining IKEv2 issues

As many times as I read that article, I can't see how this is a
problem.  It makes a very strong assumption, that EAP methods are used
outside of secure tunnels.  IMO this is not true:

- The easiest case is the user/password.  This could be handled using
EAP-MD5 or EAP-GTC.  In an average company, the user/password
combination is used to log in to your workstation, to log in to
servers, or to connect from home or while on the road.  You do not use
it from home to do things that are not related to IKE.  When at work,
you log on to the Windows domain controller or to some RADIUS server,
but you do not use EAP.  The only cases where you actually use EAP is
when connecting to a wireless LAN equipped with 802.1x or when
connecting to a relatively new RAS.  These RAS usually also use
L2TP/IPsec, so that's not snoopable either.  In short, I don't see the
case where the user will pass their password through unprotected GTC.
Since both GTC and MD5 are not good protection for passwords, it is up
to the administrator to prevent these methods from being used in
unprotected tunnels.

- Another case is the one-time password.  Here, the danger is real,
although the user will notice that the authentication failed.

- An other case is the SecurID.  This will be done either by GTC or by
SecurID's own EAP methods.  Both are non-kg.  Again I have to ask, why
would anyone do GTC in an open channel?  You authenticate either inside
your corporate network, or else at home for IPsec.  The case of a
university where a lot of students have access to the network simply
says that you should use IPsec or at least some kind of tunneled EAP
such as PEAP or TTLS.  The administrator should not allow users to use
non-kg methods outside tunnels.

To sum it up, I believe that it should be left to administrators to use
EAP methods appropriately, i.e. not use the same non-kg method both in
tunnels and in the clear.  That responsibility should not fall on IKE
implementors.  They SHOULD, however, warn their customers about the
dangers.

<snip>