Re: The remaining IKEv2 issues

Hi Tylor,

The reason we can't make doing this a MUST NOT is that the IKEv2
document is designed to be used by implementors, not administrators and
definitely not users.  We can say "GTC is OK" or "MUST NOT use GTC".
We can even say "GTC MUST NOT be used unless the passwords are local to
the VPN endpoint".  We can't mandate user behavior like "you can't use
the GTC server for IKE if you can also do GTC over unencrypted PPTP or
over unauthenticated PEAP".  We can definitely not say "you should only
authenticate with GTC if you verify the server's certificate correctly
in PEAP"

In short, you can mandate things about IKE, but not about other users
of the legacy authentication.  It would be up to the implementor to
tell the user not to use insecure methods, perhaps by displaying a
warning message in the GUI.  For the RFC, it's either in or out.