Re: The remaining IKEv2 issues

Hi Uri,

Re: XAUTH.  There was nothing particularly wrong with XAUTH.  The
fiasco is that the original IKE proved to be unusable in the
remote-access scenario, because customers demanded authentication using
RADIUS servers, OS passwords and SecurID tokens.  This led vendors like
Cisco and Check Point to develop XAUTH which is not quite standard, so
that remote-access becomes useable.  With IKEv2, we want to avoid
making it necessary to develop such an add-on.

Re: not using kg methods.  SecurID belongs to a certain vendor, and
they can create a kg method that suits them.  In fact, they have, but
they won't publish the spec, so I can't implement it.  I could install
their add-on (not yet available) on the client, and then the gateway
only needs to channel the EAP messages between SecurID server and IKE
client.  However, if we do that, we lose all the advantages of having a
kg method, because the gateway does not know the shared secret.  Of
course, you could implement something like you do in 802.1x where the
server sends the shared secret to the gateway, but that's bad ( a
shared secret isn't ).

Now let's take another example.  A customer keeps all his
username/passwords on the mainframe, because that's the only computer
they trust.  The only access our IKE gateway has to the mainframe is
running something called a RACINIT, that allows you to pass the
username and the password, and get a yes/no response.  How can we get
this to work, if the gateway never knows what the password is?  Even
MD5-Challenge won't work here.  Passing the password "in the clear"
through GTC is the only way to go here.  Now if we could come up with
some method that generates keys and passes the password from the client
to the gateway, we'd have a solution, but here we can't use
challenge-response as in MD5-Challenge or MSCHAPv2.