Re: some concerns about last IKEv2 draft

Francis Dupont writes:
>    I think the current draft does say that.
> => I don't think so, or at least it is unclear.

I still do not think this is unclear.

>    It says that host not behind
>    NAT SHOULD send all packets to the last valid authenticated source
>    address seen from the peer. And then it says that both IKE packets and
>    UDP encapsulated ESP packets can be used to get that last
>    authenticated source address.
>
> => we agree about what to do. The text says:
>
>        There are cases where a NAT box decides to remove mappings that
>        are still alive (for example, the keepalive interval is too long,
>        or the NAT box is rebooted). To recover in these cases, hosts that
>        are not behind a NAT SHOULD send all packets (including retried
>        packets) to the IP address and port from the last valid
>        authenticated packet from the other end.
>
> The context suggests IKE packets, so we should agree about a clarification,
> for instance by adding ESP packets to the "(including retried".

Note, that after that, at the end of paragraph it describes what it
means by the "authenticated packet":

      Any authenticated IKE packet or any authenticated UDP
      encapsulated ESP packet can be used to detect that the IP
      address or the port has changed.

(I fixed the "IKE encapsulated ESP packet" to the correct "UDP
encapsulated ESP packet").

>    IPsec traffic does not change addresses at all unless there is NAT
>    between. The current draft explictly says that the IPsec SA is created
>    implictly between the ip address used for the IKE SA.
>
> => no, this is not explicit. My proposal is to make this clearly explicit,
> and it seems you agree with me.

I think this is quite explicit:
   IKE runs over UDP ports 500 and 4500, and implicitly sets up ESP and
   AH associations for the same IP addresses it runs over.

What is the problem with current text, and what should be added to
there to make it more clear?

> => this "when they were negotiated" has to be clarified. And I prefer
> (for security reasons, with a SHOULD) to use the IKE SA addresses
> than the addresses in the CREATE_CHILD_SA message (in this context,
> i.e., no NAT-T or not for the peer behind a NAT).

Ok, now I do understand. Yes, I do agree that we SHOULD use the
addresses of the initial IKE SA creation, not the CREATE_CHILD_SA
messages.
--
kivinen@ssh.fi
SSH Communications Security                  http://www.ssh.fi/