RE: 2401bis Issue #67 -- IPsec management traffic

At 12:40 -0700 9/16/03, Wenxiao He wrote:
> [...]

NO. what we said was that IKE SAs are treated specially by the
host/SG that terminates or originates IKE traffic, and thus need not
be subject to SPD/SAD controls.

>Using the example below, assuming IPSec tunnel
>between H1 and SG2 is ready and H1 sending IKE messages to H2, should
>these IKE messages be in cleartext or protected  by H1/SG2 tunnel SA? On
>the 2nd note below are you saying when IKE traffic (H1/H2) going through
>SG2 it will require a SPD?

The IKE traffic from H1 is treated like any other subscriber traffic
from H1, and thus requires an appropriate SPD entry to be allowed to
pass. However, at H1, the IKE traffic it emits and receives need not
be authorized by an entry in its SPD.

>         ======================================================
>         |                                                    |
>         |==============================                      |
>         ||                            |                      |
>         ||                         ---|----------------------|---
>         H1* ----- (Internet) ------| SG2* ---- (Local ----- H2* |
>               ^                    |           Intranet)        |
>         could be dialup              admin. boundary (optional)
>         to PPP/ARA server
>

>>  Note: If one chose to allow IPsec management traffic to bypass SPD
>>  lookup, then how would one implement a policy of "don't accept IKE
>  > traffic from src A"?

Steve