Re: 2401bis Issue #68 -- Negotiating VPN context

I ardently support signaling the VPN context in IKE as described by Karen
below.  This should be passed from the initiator to the responder.

So what exactly is a "VPN context" and how is it identified?  At the risk
of alienating everyone ;-)  I will assert that there is more than one type
of context to be dealt with.  The two context types I am aware of are:

Context type: security gateway -- This is for the case where a single box
is serving as security gateway independently on behalf of multiple
protected subscriber nets.  (I believe this is the case Karen's description
envisions.) In this case the Context ID is a value that identifies the
particular security gateway instance.

Context type: overlay network -- This is for cases such as the provider
provisioned layer 3 VPN case where tunnels protected by IPsec are used as
"virtual links" in the topology of an overlay network.  In this case the
Context ID is a value, such as an RFC 2685 VPN-ID, that identifies the
overlay internetwork to whose forwarding context the virtual link should be
bound.

Other context types may emerge in the future as IPsec is used in other
applications.

A minimal level of support for this would be to let IKE convey only a
Context-ID value.  Ideally this would be an opaque field of variable
length.  At the least it should be a field that can contain an 8-byte RFC
2685 VPN-ID.

Some devices support both of the above service types, and need to determine
what service AND what context is being addressed when they are the IKE
responder.  This could be addressed by judicious coordinated assignment of
Context-IDs across both types of contexts, but this would probably impose
operational hardships.  A nicer approach would be for IKE to convey a
Context-Type as well as a Context-ID.

Thanks, Mark