How to reduce number of IPSEC security policies that need to be configured?

Hi,
       I stumbled upon a problem and appreciate any feedback from the group.
       We are creating a Security Router with Firewall, IPSEC, IKE and
       L2TPoIPSEC AND transparent proxy for  EMAIL (SMTP) for Spam
       control and antiVirus.

       When proxy is  enabled, we observed that we needed to create multiple
       IPSEC policies between two sites. With more number of sites, number
of policies
       that are required to be configured go up and that could be a big
deployment problem.

       Let me explain the two site scenario:

        HO
Network-----SecurityGateway(HO)-----Internet-------SecurityGateway(BO)----BO
Network.

        HO Network: 10.1.5.0/24
        HO WAN side IP address: 1.2.3.4
        BO WAN Side IP address: 5.6.7.8
        BO Network: 10.1.6.0/24

        Typically one security policy of type:
                 10.1.5.0/24 to 10.1.6.0/24 ----> Apply Security with
3DES+SHA1  on HO SG
        would be good enough for securing the traffic from HO to BO.

        When SMTP Spam control proxy is enabled, the connection from the
client is terminated at
        the proxy and proxy creates new connection. New connection's source
IP is now 1.2.3.4.
        This does not fall on above Security Policy. Due to this, one more
Security policy needs to
        be created i.e
             1.2.3.4 to 10.1.6.0/24 --------> Apply Security with 3DES+SHA1
on HO SG.

        Similarly, for BO Security Gateway Proxy to work, we need to create
one more Security policy
        on HO SG  i.e.  10.1.5.0/24  to 5.6.7.8 ----> Apply Security with
3DES+SHA1.

        Two more extra policies have to be created apart from Network to
Network Security policy.
        If we have more number of WAN IP addresses and more branch offices,
the number of policies
        that are to be created will go up dramatically.

        As a box vendor, we would like to reduce the number of policies
that need to be created between
        two sites by the end users.  Ideally, we would like one security
policy for each peer site.

        I could think of two  proposals:
        Proposal 1:
           IKE/IPSEC allow security policy with multiple IP address and
Port ranges. IKE  allows
           multiple ID payloads OR a single ID payload with multiple IP
address ranges and Port ranges.
       Proposal 2:
           Negotiation of opaque ID in quick mode. Either explicit
selectors can be negotiated OR
           opaque ID can be negotiated. IN case of opaque ID negotiation,
both peers are assumed to
           relate set of selectors to the opaque ID. In above example, all
three security policies have
           one opaque ID shared between them. Whenever there is any packet
matching any of these
           three security policies, opaque ID is sent as part of QM ID
payload. Security bundles, that are
           created due to this, will be applicable for all three security
policies. On the receiving side, once
           the packet is decrypted, it should be allowed to pass, if it
matches with any of the three inbound
           security policies.

       Any other solutions which does not require modifications to standards?

     Regards
     Ravi

The Views Presented in this mail are completely mine. The company is not
responsible for what so ever.

Ravi Kumar CH
Rendezvous On Chip (I) Pvt Ltd
Hyderabad, INDIA