Re: How to reduce number of IPSEC security policies that need to be configured?

Hi Ravi,
     Two solutions which don't require additions/changes to the current standards.
     1. Use L2TP over IPSEC:
         This creates an interface and the packets going to/from this interface are secured
          using IPSEC/IKE tunnel. If your SG needs to establish tunnels to 'N' number of sites,
          then you require 'N' L2TP PPP interfaces and 'N' IPSEC data policies and 'N' IKE policies.
          You can create route to the remote site network using the appropriate L2TP PPP interface.
          Due to this, site to site traffic and traffic generated by proxies will be tunneled via L2TP
          interface which in turn is secured by IPSEC/IKE tunnels.
          It also has advantage where the Security Gateway gets the WAN IP address dynamically
          either via DHCP Client OR PPPoE in case of DSL networks.

     2.  IPinIP Tunnels:
          This is similar to above in the sense that it also creates network interface and all the packets
          going to/from this interface can be tunneled using IPSEC/IKE tunnel.
          But, I am not sure how it works when the SG gets the dynamic IP address for its WAN interface.
          In that way, L2TP over IPSEC interface may be better.

     Disadvantage: More per packet overhead.

Srini

Intoto Inc.
Enabling Security Infrastructure